Carham is a village lying on the south side of the River Tweed about 4 miles west of Coldstream.
Near to Carham are the extensive remains of Early British camps. A bronze sword from this period, now in the British Museum, was discovered in the nearby Tweed.
Carham was the scene of two battles in Anglo-Saxon times. In 833 the Danes fought the English, and the English were routed. It is recorded that in the 33rd year of Ecbright reign, the Danes arrived at Lindisfarne and fought with the English at Carham where "Eleven Bishops and two English Countes were slayne, and a great numbre of people." A field between the glebe and Dunstan Wood, where bones have been from time to time disinterred, is probably the site of the battle.
In 1016 or 1018 the Battle of Carham between the Kingdom of Scotland and the Northumbrians resulted in a Scottish victory. It had huge political significance since it established the River Tweed as the boundary between the two countries.
The Church of St Cuthbert, built in 1790, is located at the west end of the village and has a most beautiful situation overlooking the River Tweed.
Further information about Carham can be viewed at: www.carhamparish.org.uk