The village of Cornhill-on-Tweed lies next to the Scottish border, approximately 1½ miles from Coldstream, and so is on the northerly edge of Northumberland. It was in ancient times known as Cornell. The parish carries the same name and incorporates Old and New Heaton and Tillmouth. The river Tweed runs eastward about a mile from the village, where there is an eighteenth century bridge with a span of five arches over the river. Agriculture plays a part here, with a rich soil that supports diverse crops such as turnips, beans, and a variety of grains.
Situated between the dramatic Cheviot Hills to the west and the North Sea coast to the east, Crookham village is set within a circle of small rural communities that encircle the great Milfield plain in Glendale. It lies on a bend of the meandering river Till. Glacial activity created a kettle moraine style of ground in the area, composed for the most part of sand and gravel. The name Crookham is thought to have Anglo-Saxon origins, Crookham being taken from 'crucum', meaning 'at the bends of the river'.
The village of Etal within lies 9 miles northwest of Wooler and 1½ miles northwest of Ford.
Etal lies within an area that was touched many times over the centuries by border warfare. When Bruce and Wallace carried out their raids in the early fourteenth century, a number of landowning residents received royal licence to crenellate their manor houses. Etal castle is an example of this type of fortification. Situated at the west end of the village and looking towards the Cheviot hills, Etal castle was crenellated in 1341 by its owner, Robert de Manners. This family exchanged the castle and lands with the crown for lands in Leicestershire later in the century, and Etal castle became the residence of the Deputy Warden of the Marches. It was taken by James IV, the Scottish king, when he crossed the border in 1513 on his way to the battle of Flodden. James died at Flodden, and the colours taken by the English were deposited at the castle.
Doddington Village is part of a ring of small settlements that skirt the extensive Milfield Plain, lying 3 miles north of Wooler and 13 miles south of Berwick-upon-Tweed. It is situated on the lower slopes of a sandstone hill, Dod Law, and between two branches of a tributary that meander their way to join the larger River Till, itself a major tributary of the River Tweed. Dod Law is an important aquifer which feeds a number of wells and springs in and around the village which in turn provide the water supplies to the farms and homes in the village.
Ford is a small village about 13 miles (21 km) southwest from Berwick-upon-Tweed. Ford shares a parish with Etal.
Very little is known of the history of the area before the Norman Conquest in the 11th century, but Bronze Age rock carvings in the area suggest that there might have been some settlement at that time.