Ilderton is a small village located on the edge of the Northumberland National Park. The village is named for the Ilderton family of Ilderton Hall built in 1733, the orginal owners of the estate. The area around the village is noted for its large number of earthworks and remains of prehistoric settlements.
Ingram is a small village located in the Cheviots on the River Breamish, and on the edge of Northumberland National Park.
The valley through which the River Breamish runs is a very popular place with summer visitors and hill walkers. Driving past the village until coming to the public toilets and car park on the right, one reaches the starting point from which to climb the hills. Opposite the car park, halfway up the hill towards Brough Law, are the remnants of a Bronze Age settlement, easily missed, as it is merely an overgrown area surrounded by stones. Approximately half an hour is required to walk up the beaten path to the top of Brough Law and its Iron Age hillfort. The whole area around Ingram is crowded with prehistoric sites.
Milfield village is a small rural community situated approximately 6 miles northwest of Wooler and 3 miles northeast of Kirknewton, on the Wooler to Coldstream road. The landscape changes in this area, from the romantic Cheviot range of hills, descending eastward down to the extensive Milfield plain. This plain is agriculturally rich in its makeup, and there is a ring of settlements that surround it, Milfield being one of them.
Kirknewton lies about 6 miles (10 km) from the town of Wooler and roughly the same distance to the Scottish Borders. The village lies in the valley Glendale, which takes its name from the River Glen, whose source at the confluence of the Bowmont Water and the College Burn lies at the west end of the village.
The agricultural village of Old Bewick, lying on the northern bank of the River Breamish and located about 3 miles northwest of Eglingham, is notable for its Bronze Age cairn, Iron Age hillfort, and rock art (petroglyphs) exhibiting the characteristic cup and ring marks. Nearby is Blawearie Cairn, which was excavated in 1866, and in the 1980s, to uncover Bronze Age burial remains.