Wooler and Glendale

Gateway to the Cheviot Hills

Ilderton

Location

Historical Information

Ilderton is a small village located on the edge of the Northumberland National Park. The village is named for the Ilderton family of Ilderton Hall built in 1733, the orginal owners of the estate. The area around the village is noted for its large number of earthworks and remains of prehistoric settlements.

Ilderton is a small village located on the edge of the Northumberland National Park. The village is named for the Ilderton family of Ilderton Hall built in 1733, the orginal owners of the estate. The area around the village is noted for its large number of earthworks and remains of prehistoric settlements.

Ilderton was part of the Norman Barony of Wark. Its most significant feature is Church of St Michael which was endowed around 1121. The first incumbent of St. Michael's was Peter de Ros who died before 1199. Around 1296, the church was burned down in the course of a raid by Scots. The Church was in a complete state of deterioration by 1663 as the only part of the church left was the middle aisle roofed with turf. The turf was removed in 1723 and replaced by stone flags. A font was given in 1727 although the church was in serious decay. Later that century the church was completely demolished apart from a portion of the tower, the floor level was raised to its present level, and a new nave was built. In the churchyard is a mausoleum built by Admiral Roddam in 1795 for his deceased second wife Althea who died in 1792.

Interesting church plate of great historic significance includes the Ilderton Communion Cup or Ilderton Chalice with an inscription from 1583 made by Valentine Baker of Newcastle (this chalice is now preserved in the Treasury of York Minster). The Ilderton cup, paten and flagon dated 1799 was presented to the church in 1803 by Ann Roddam.

Ilderton Tower was listed in 1415 as one of the border fortresses, but by 1541 it was becoming derelict, although the papers of Henry VIII record that there was a garrison at Ilderton. In 1715 Ilderton was described as "a small village and in it ye seat of George Ilderton, a mean edifice at present, ye tower, which was ye ancient mansion house, being in ruins" The site of the tower is not known, but its remains may have been incorporated into the present Ilderton Hall..

About 1778 Ilderton Hall was leased to Charles Peter Dartiquenave, presumably by Robert Ilderton, then living at Westoe. Dartinquenave was believed to be a great grandson of Charles II, and living with him at Ilderton were his two sisters Dorothy and Ann. Dorothy's subsequent death was believed to have been violent and it was suspected that her body was buried in the garden. Stains on one of the staircases are reputed to be vestiges of blood from the wounds inflicted on Dorothy by the intruders.

After the Ilderton family sold the Hall there was a succession of absentee owners.